Friday 7 October 2011

Third Wooden Board - 7 ft x 20 1/2 inch mini - mal

Heya - Craig here -  I live in the Caldera region of northern NSW overlooking Mt Warning (Wollumbin).  Been dabblin' with hollow wooden boards for the past few years now - learning the skills required - & feeling the buzz of making my own wooden surfsticks.  This one posted here is my most recent one a 7 ft mini mal which has a tung/orange oil finish.It has a 6mm marine ply spine & 6mm paulownia ribs . The deck skin is 7mm paulownia & the bottom skin is 6mm paulownia. The ribs are spaced 150 mm apart- plus on the deck I added small intermediate ribs between the main ribs for extra strength & on the bottom I added thin 2mm balsa sheets- it feels more than strong enough. The tail & nose blocks are made of black wattle & huon pine. The fins are made of camphour laurel & red cedar & are glassed with fibreglass. The inside is sealed with varnish & the airvent plug  is 10 mm stainless steel. It took me over 200 hours to complete which is a lot - but I'm real happy with the quality of the final board. Heres a few snaps of the construction









No comments:

Post a Comment