Friday 7 October 2011

More Pix



















Heres a youtube of the oiling process





This is the last coat of oil on my hollow wooden mini mal. There were 3 previous coats .
The 1st coat was    35% tung oil + 15% orange oil + 50% citrus turpentine. I used about 200ml on the 1st coat - the raw timber really soaked it up.

The second coat which I did 24 hours later , was the same 70/30 oil mix with only 33% citrus turps. This coat soaked up about 70 ml.

The 3rd coat I did about 5 days later [ each coat takes longer to dry - depending on weather conditions]. This coat was 70% tung oil + 30% orange oil, no turps. It soaked up 50 ml.

The 4th & final coat I did 8 days after the 3rd. For this coat I used 50% tung oil + 50% orange oil. I used more orange oil as it is supposed to help the tung oil harden.

As you can see by the photo below the water beads really well on the oiled surface



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete